Sleep…who doesn’t love a good nights sleep! When you fall asleep easily, sleep all night and wake feeling great in the morning!!!! But honestly…how often does that happen??
Between being woken by the little ones…having a million and one things going through my brain that I really must do tomorrow…stresses, worries, life stuff…it’s amazing I sleep at all!
Fortunately I’ve learnt many ways to help myself. Sleep is so important. It’s when our brains ‘wash themselves’ (Dr Amen mentions this in one of his podcasts, check it out – The Brain Warriors Way) and it’s when our bodies heal. We NEED good quality & quantity of sleep.
So if you have trouble unwinding, stopping the brain chatter when it’s time to go to sleep or if you find yourself waking in the night and then struggle to go back to sleep, here are a few little tips I find help me.
- Unwind properly. Don’t hurry this step…no technology. Pop your diffuser on with a beautiful calming oil or blend that you feel like. Remember at different times your body needs different things, so acknowledge your sense of smell and go with what your body is telling you. If you prefer one smell over another, go with that. I like Cedarwood, Clary Sage & Frank as a nighttime blend. I also like dōTERRA Serenity Blend (Lavender Peace in Australia) link to video on this blend below. I also use Clary Calm Roller Blend topically if I feel hormones may be a contributing factor. If I feel overtired, overstimulated and I have too much brain chatter going on, Vetiver is a great oil to diffuse before bed (also in Serenity Blend)
- Dim the lights or even better, turn them off and just use the little night light built in to your diffuser. The dōTERRA Petal Diffuser is great for this. This helps your brain to recognize that it’s night time and to start producing melatonin for sleep.
- Stretch, do lots of deep breathing and stretching.
- While stretching, Pray, say positive affirmations or just think of all of the things you are grateful for. This releases chemicals in our brain that make us feel good and feeling happy & more content helping us to sleep better.
- Head to bed when you feel yourself getting really sleepy.
- Take 5 deep breaths when you are in bed. In for the count of 4, hold for the count of 2, release for the count of 6. This gets oxygen to the brain, calms it down, tells it everything is going to be ok, and helps you fall off to sleep quicker. Do not allow yourself to think of anything but your breath. If you find your mind is starting to wander…tell yourself “there is nothing more I need to do today, now it’s time to sleep”. Whatever you tell yourself, your mind & body believe.
- If you wake during the night, try the previous step to drift back to sleep.
I hope you sleep well tonight!
Here are some great little videos to watch too 🍃 Amee